Sunday, October 5, 2008

Stuffed Green Pepper Soup

This recipe is from my friend, Leah. She had this soup at The Mason Jar restaurant while in Colorado Springs, and liked it so much she asked for the recipe. Surprisingly, they gave it to her! I made it a couple of weeks ago and it was very, very good. I love soup in the fall and winter, and this recipe is a keeper!

Stuffed Green Pepper Soup

2 lbs ground beef
2 quarts water
1 can (28 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes (undrained)
2 c. white rice
2 c. chopped green peppers
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
2 t. salt
1 t. pepper
2 t. beef bouillon

In a large pan, season beef with salt and pepper and cook until no longer pink. Drain beef and add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until peppers are tender. Enjoy!

**I thought the sugar sounded weird, but I didn't notice it and it definitely didn't make this soup taste sweet. I don't like sweet soups!!!

**Next time, I'll add the rice just before serving to keep it firm. Mine was a bit overcooked.

1 comment:

Leah Belle said...

i made it last night and my advice about the rice is the same as yours. i think next time, i'll cook it separately and add it in right before i serve it.