Friday, May 25, 2007

Chicken Pot Pie

This is one of many variations I have for this particular dish. This is the easiest though and my kids will actually eat it. It's a great dinner on a chilly night, like, say, a snowy Wednesday in MAY!

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

2-3 chicken cooked breasts, chopped (save broth)
1 or 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1 can Veg-all, drained
1/2 small onion, diced (optional)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2-1 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp butter
1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust. I've tried 'em all and Pillsbury is the best. They come in a 2-pk, but you only need one, so freeze the other for next time. Sometimes I make two; if I only make one, there are no leftovers.

While the chicken is cooking, I like to steam my chopped potatoes and onion for a few minutes in my steamer basket--I think it helps the potatoes cook and little faster and I think there's nothing worse than biting into an undercooked potato. Combine soup, Veg-all, chicken breasts, chopped potato, onion, and chicken broth in bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into 9x13 dish and dot with butter. Place pie crust over the chicken mixture and bake at 400 for 45-50 minutes. You may need to lightly cover the dish if the crust starts getting too brown.

No comments: