Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas

We had this for dinner last night. It is one of my favorites! Very good and very good for you!

Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas

2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups salsa, divided (see note below)
3-4 tsp chili powder
1-2 tsp ground cumin
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8-10 tortillas, white or whole wheat
sour cream
guacamole
shredded lettuce
chopped tomatoes

Pour beans into large mixing bowl. Use the back of a fork or spoon to mash them a little. Next add chicken, 1 cup of the salsa, and the spices. I also add about 1/3 cup of the cheese. Mix well. Spread mixture on tortillas, roll up, and place seam side down in lightly greased 9x13 pan. Top with remaining cheese and salsa, cover with foil, and bake at 325 for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, lettuce and tomatoes and more salsa! So yummy!

*I've tried this with so many kinds of salsa. Our *most favorite* is Baja Salsa, but it's made locally so I'm not sure how available it is outside of Colorado. I buy it in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, so you might look for it there. My favorite salsa in a jar (on the mexican aisle) is Ortega. I've tried 'em all and this is the one we like best for this recipe. Oh, and I always make this with whole wheat tortillas, but the original recipe calls for white, so I'm sure that is just as yummy. All of the toppings are optional, but the guacamole really makes it exceptionally delicious. Enjoy!

No comments: