Friday, March 20, 2009

Play Dough

I've been making this playdough for years...my kids STILL love it and will play with it for hours! 

Kids Play Dough

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 small package Kool-Aid, unsweetened
1 Tbsp cooking oil
1 cup water

Combine water and drink mix in skillet over medium heat. Mix well. Add all other ingredients and stir constantly until mixture forms a ball. Remove from skillet and knean until no longer sticky. Store in airtight container or Ziploc bag.

* This takes about 5 minutes to make. When my kids were toddlers, it was an easy, soothing distraction. 

*Variations: Use food coloring instead of Kool-Aid or baby oil instead of cooking oil.

*The Kool-Aid makes it scented...so pick a flavor you can tolerate. Grape grosses me out.

*This stuff lasts forEVER if you keep it airtight. I find that if I use Kool-Aid, I have to throw it out sooner because eventually it starts to smell ick.

*I give my kids a cookie sheet with a lip or my giant cutting board to play on. It helps keep the play dough off the table or floor. 

*Cream of tartar can be expensive, but I buy it in bulk on the spice aisle of my health food store...you can get a ton for CHEAP. 

*I've even made big batches of this as party favors...put it in a bag with some cookie cutters tied to the top and voila...cheap-o gift!

*Alright...I'll stop!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Thanks for the recipe. My boys would love to make this. :o)