Friday, January 2, 2009

My Nana's Cornbread


I've tried lots and lots of cornbread recipes and I always go back to this one from my Nana. There is nothing better than a pan of this with stew or soup or shepherd's pie.  It's also super easy to make!

Nana's Cornbread

1 cup white cornmeal (it really must be white and not yellow)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, worked in with a fork.

Bake at 450 degrees  for 25 minutes.

NOW...here's what the recipe doesn't tell you. 
You have to start with a very hot skillet.  I have my Nana's old cast iron skillet and I leave it in the 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes prior to mixing up my batter. Pull skillet out after it's hot and add some oil to cover the bottom. I usually return it to the oven for a few minutes to let the oil get hot, but watch it carefully or the oil will start to smoke and burn. You don't want that to happen. Then, pull it back out and add the batter. It will make a nice, crispy crust! 


No comments: