Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mexican Casserole

I've had this recipe for such a long time. It's from my friend, Helen, and my husband loves it. I don't think to make it all the time because it's not my favorite and I really try to avoid things with cream soups in them (for health reasons) but this is often requested.

Mexican Casserole

1 can cream of chemical mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 - 1 can Rotel tomatoes (I like mild)
1 cup chicken broth
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 large bag nacho cheese Doritos, crushed
1.5 lbs ground chuck, browned and drained*
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Combine first five ingredients in a saucepan. Heat to boiling point, add the ground chuck, and set aside. Spread half the corn chips in greased 9x13 casserole dish. Layer half the ground beef and soup mixture over chips. Then add another layer of chips and the last of the beef/soup mixture. Cover wtih cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes (covered).

*You can also substitute 1 lb cooked, shredded chicken breasts for the ground beef.

No comments: