Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sloppy Joes

This recipe is from my friend, Benita. I like how she sneaks veggies into the sauce. By the way, the parenthetical notes are hers.

Sloppy Joes

1 pound ground beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped green, yellow, or red pepper (optional)
(Sometimes I grate a carrot or two instead if I don't have a pepper or for the kids, leave it out completely)
1 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. paprika (I use either Hungarian paprika or sweet and spicy paprika but you can use plain)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. chili powder (can use either plain or spicy)
1 heaping Tbsp. yellow mustard
1+ tsp. Worcestershire sauce (I let extra run over the spoon)
Approx. 1 c. tomato soup (start with slightly less because you can always add more -- just don't want it too runny)
2 heaping Tbsp. ketchup

Brown hamburger, drain. Add everything else -- simmer 20-30 minutes. Spoon into buns and serve.

No comments: